Tuesday 14 April 2020

Broken


“Brethren, Let’s break into our Sunday school classes” finally, service was over and the whole congregation stood up and broke out into different groups for Sunday school. I knew he would be right there in his class, same corner. And I’m beginning to think that the corner he has chosen is strategic. So I also decided to pick a strategic corner in my class where we can both steal innocent glances at each other.
Hmnnnn! This is interesting, my secret crush is actually stealing glances at me. Oh yeah, I can see from the sides of eyes. Today’s Sunday school topic was quite interesting - Handling Marital Delay.
I was equally in a participatory mood so I stood up to share my perspective on the subject matter, I was so caught up in my argument that I didn’t notice crushie had been staring at me from his strategic corner. After making my point, I dusted my skirt in victory and was about to take my seat when I looked over my shoulders to catch him staring at me as though I just gave a presidential speech. I gave him the smile I usually keep for prospective clients when I attend business meetings but he quickly looked away, apparently he doesn’t like being caught. Hahahahha.
After Sunday school, as I walked to the car park, I heard a car honk behind me, I quickly moved to the side of the road and I saw my crushie through the slightly tinted window drive past me. He had his sun glasses on and looked even more handsome. Hmnnn this guy is really testing me. When I decide to take the bull by the horn, please no one should sing desperation in my ears.
I had a 12 o’clock in Lekki but I had to top up my fuel tank first. So I drove to the nearest fuel station and I saw a small queue and joined. When it was my turn, I asked if the POS machine was available as I didn’t have cash. The attendance looked at me and didn’t reply me. I thought he didn’t hear me and I repeated my question. This time he looked at me with a frown on his face “Madam, POS nor dey available, abeg move your car to that side make another person buy fuel” Huh? I was so upset I switched off the ignition and came out “what is the matter with you, why would you talk to me in that manner? Do you know if I have cash and simply wanted to use my ATM Card?” He wasn’t even apologetic, he turned his back on me as if daring me to do my worst. I decided not to allow him spoil my day and I got into the car and started it, my car would not start, what? Please don’t embarrass yourself here I begged in my heart. I tried again but it would not bulge so I came out to see if I could find a mechanic around. By this time, the cars behind me had reversed and joined the queue on the next line. I noticed a particular Toyota Highlander jeep still waiting so I went to beg him to join the other queue as my car wouldn’t start.
He wind down and as I was about to start my sub story, I saw my crush staring right at me and I forgot all I wanted to say. “What seems to be the problem ma’am? I was so embarrassed, I didn’t know how to explain my situation, I stuttered. “err err errm I’m trying to get fuel but the attendant tells me the POS isn’t working. I’ll have to find an ATM to withdraw some cash but my car won’t even start” Crushie saw that I was visibly embarrassed and he offered to take a look at it. I opened the car bonnet and he checked, seeing that my fuel tank wasn’t empty, he went on to do some magic on it and then asked me to start the car, I did and voooooooom it came alive. I felt so relieved. He asked the attendant to sell to me and offered to pay but I refused because I had put him through a lot of stress already but he insisted and wouldn’t accept no for an answer, so I let him.
I was eternally grateful to him and asked that we exchange phone numbers, I noticed he was reluctant and then by a stroke of luck he changed his mind and gave me his number and I gave him my business card. As I thanked him and was about to get into my car he called out “I didn’t get your name, would you text me or tell me next week in church after Sunday school?” he winked at me, got into his car, reversed and drove off without buying fuel. I kept staring till he disappeared.
I was confused in my thoughts as I drove to the meeting. So Crushie probably used his last cash to pay for the fuel top up and had to go get more money. Wow, I was so touched by the gentlemanly gesture. 100 yards of husband material. And to think that he actually recognizes me from the church, oh wow! Our strategy worked out afterall. How did I get so jammed up that I forgot to introduce myself? And then my car, why did it suddenly refuse to start? Too many strange coincidences. I will definitely give him a thank you call tonight and then invite him to a lunch date. Hmnnn Crushieeeeeeee!

No comments: